Chair, Department of Dance
Dpl. Communication Arts (Seneca College), BFA (York), Professional Program (School of Toronto Dance Theatre), CMA (Laban/Bartenieff Institute of Movement Studies), MA (York), Gyrotonic/Gyrokinesis Certified Level One Teacher
Susan Cash is a dancer and choreographer who has been performing and presenting her own work for more than two decades on the alternative theatre circuit and in formal performance venues across Canada and parts of the United States. Most recently she performed in Prague and Toronto and her choreography has been performed in England, New York and Guatemala.
As a Certified Movement Analyst (CMA), she is part of the core faculty in the Laban/Bartenieff & Somatic Studies International Program in Canada and has taught in Toronto and Vancouver.
Before coming to York University to teach she was Artist-In-Residence at the University of Waterloo, where she received a Distinguished Teacher Award. Professor Cash teaches in the graduate and undergraduate programs at York University in the area of movement analysis, composition, repertoire, choreography, contemporary dance technique and improvisation. From 2003 – 2011 she was Artistic and Managing director of the York Dance Ensemble (YDE), a repertory company comprising advanced dancers in the Department of Dance.
Associate Professor Susan Cash is the Chair of the Department of Dance.
Areas of Academic Specialty: Modern Technique, Laban/Bartenieff and Somatic Studies
- Arts and Environmental
Art School Dismissed book, photograph of Out of Line solo, published 2011
York U Magazine 50th anniversary, photograph of The Bach Dual, Vol 6 Num 5, Summer 2009
York U Magazine photograph of Susan Cash for a profile on the 50th anniversary of York University, Vol 6 Num 4, April 2009 (photograph won gold 2010)
Performance and Research
Susan Cash’s work:
- Out of Line, performed by the York Dance Ensemble (YDE), March 23 – 26, Sandra Faire and Ivan Fecan Theatre, York University
- Our Native Land, performed by the York Dance Ensemble, March 4, 5, 6, Sandra Faire and Ivan Fecan theatre, York University
- Tree Woman, Cash and Company Dance – Keiko Kitano, Penumbra MFA Thesis and Faculty show, January 27 – 29, Sandra Faire and Ivan Fecan theatre (FFT), York University
- Tree Woman, performed by Keiko Kitano, World Dance Assembly, July 12 – 17, New York, Dance Theatre Workshop (DTW)
- Art School (Dismissed) a multi-disciplinary performance event, solo performed/choreographed by Susan Cash, Shaw Street School curator, director and producer visual artist Heather Nichol, May 14, 15, 16
Tree Woman, Cash and Company Dance – Keiko Kitano, Penumbra MFA Thesis and Faculty show, January 27 – 29, Sandra Faire and Ivan Fecan theatre (FFT), York University
- Senderos, performed by Momentum Dance Company, Guatemala, August 22
- Senderos, performed by Momentum Dance Company, Guatemala, May 28. In residence to create Senderos, Guatemala, May 19 – 29.
- Path performed by the York Dance Ensemble, Eco Festival, McLean Performance Studio, April 15
- Path performed by the York Dance Ensemble in Interlock, Sandra Faire and Ivan Fecan, April 2 – 4
- The Bach Dual, Cash and Company Dance – Nicole Rose Bond, Yvonne Ng, York’s 50th Gala Concert, Accolade East Recital Hall, March 2
- Path, Cash and Company Dance, Dance Ontario Weekend, The Fleck Theatre, January 23
- Art School (Dismissed) a multi-disciplinary performance event, solo choreography Susan Cash, Shaw Street School curator, director and producer visual artist Heather Nichol, May 14, 15, 16
- Anar (solo version), performer in choreography by Sashar Zarif, Theatre Na Pradle, Prague, December 6
- Anar, performer in choreography by Sashar Zarif, Enwave Theatre, Soo Ryu Dance Festival, Toronto Oct. 24
- Anar, performer in choreography by Sashar Zarif, Choreographies of Migration, Enwave Theatre, Danceworks, Toronto March 6-8
- Princess Productions performance Frequency, Citadel Theatre
- Yvonne Ng solo choreography Weave, Citadel Theatre
- Guest dramaturge for performance of 808 series in the Dance Dramaturgy Conference, Society of Dance History Scholars, University of Toronto, June 25
- Princess Production, Cradlesong, Berkley Street Theatre
2003-2010 York Dance Ensemble, Artistic and Managing Director